Author Topic: Some questions about Shade  (Read 6146 times)

adamkuczek

• Visual storyteller
    • View Profile
    • AK-ART
Some questions about Shade
« on: June 10, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
Hi, I started using Shade recently and have a few questions, maybe you guys can help out a bit.

1) It seems that with Rotate manipulator, you have to precisely click on red, green or blue circles to rotate the object. Is it possible to rotate ‘freely’, i.e. just click inside the manipulator sphere and rotate however you want, like in most other 3D apps? It takes a while to position the object the way you want it if you have to stick to the red/green/blue circles.

2) Extruding edges works a bit strangely. It only seems to work if some faces are stripped from the mesh (it has holes) or the mash is just a floating polygon, otherwise it often just pulls the edge like a regular Move tool. Is there a way around it, so I can extrude any edge at any time?

3) Is it possible to make space outside Rendering Area more opaque in Perspective View? (e.g. using some % value?). I like to have what’s renderable and what’s not clearly separated, because it’s useful for framing composition.

4) Is it possible to lock/freeze a camera/view through a camera, e.g. after I found a good composition? I can make a new camera or use ‘Copy View as Camera’ for that but there seems no way to lock these to prevent accidental movement. Using ‘Lock’ parameter in Browser doesn’t stop it from moving around.

5) How to assign different materials to selected faces of the mesh? Every time I try to assign different surface to selected faces, it applies it to the entire mesh. I know I can ‘separate selected faces as a new shape’ and then apply different material but that’s not exactly what I’m looking for.

6) Surface ID question: if I assign a material to the main part/folder containing multiple meshes (e.g. trees), Surface ID pass will come out as a single color, no problem. The thing is, if I want to apply a different surface to some of the meshes for variety sake (e.g. different tree texture), Surface ID will spit out each mesh with changed surface as a different color. So, even if I use just two surfaces (main and additional), I will have a total rainbow in Surface ID pass, which is a bit troublesome for selection (see attachment). Is there a way to set it, so each surface will be just one color, in spite of how many times it’s applied? Or do I have to put all meshes I want to use the second surface in their own, separate folder/part?

Thanks.

sunny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about Shade
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:36:15 AM »
Hi,

1. Yes, you can use the rotate tool from toolbox window.

2. Which tool did you use ? There are several tools provide different result.

3. It is not possible to do that, but good suggestion.

4. Use the meta-camera instead.

5. Use face group to assign multiple texture in a single mesh object.

6. Again use face group, If I understand your question correctly :)

Cheers!

adamkuczek

• Visual storyteller
    • View Profile
    • AK-ART
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
1. Well, yes, seems you can get by by using ‘continuous mode’ and rotate from toolbox although it’s still not free – every rotation is also along one axis, so you have to constantly rotate the view. Just have to get used to it, I guess.

2. I use Modify > ‘Extrude’. What other tools can you use to extrude an edge from a polygon?

3. Ok, maybe soon ;)

4. How to create meta-camera? Seems I can only create ‘object camera’. Also, the default meta-camera doesn’t seem to have any freeze/lock option as well. If it has, where to find it?

5-6. Got it, thanks!

sunny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:28:27 PM »
For Meta-camera, you can create a new one by using the "Memory" popup in Camera window. Select the "Meta-Camera" option, then it will duplicate the current meta-camera 1 and create a new meta-camera 2.

adamkuczek

• Visual storyteller
    • View Profile
    • AK-ART
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:13:18 PM »
Thanks. Ok, I think I figured it out. I can create Meta-camera from Object camera and if I move it accidentally, just use Restore > Object and it will snap back where Object camera is pointing. This should work.

sunny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:22:05 PM »
Exactly! You are learning fast  ;)