Author Topic: Saving z-depth as part of Photoshop file.  (Read 5510 times)

JohnArtist

• View Profile
Saving z-depth as part of Photoshop file.
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »
I upgraded from ver 8 to ver. 14.   I used to be able to save the z-depth channel directly into the Photoshop file of the render.  This new version doesn't allow this.  The only way to save the z-depth is to save the color render, then change the Render window menu at bottom from "RGB Channel" to "Z Depth", and then save THAT image as a separate file, and then combine them in Photoshop.  IS there a way to automatically save the Z Depth channel as another channel in the file like I used to be able to do in ver. 8?  When I save a Photoshop file, the "Save Z Depth" check box always comes out grayed.

Ben

• View Profile
Re: Saving z-depth as part of Photoshop file.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:00:08 AM »
When you save your render, you have to save it as a "single multilayer file" in the dropdown box. You may have to choose psd as the file type (you can also do exr and tiff).

Make sure that the "save grayscaled z-depth option is" unchecked. You have to render with the z-depth option on in the multipass tab instead, it will appear as layer in the final file.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:03:42 AM by Ben »

JohnArtist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:09:07 AM »
Thanks, Ben!  I couldn't figure this out.  Didn't think it would be in a LAYER since you need it in an ALPHA CHANNEL to use (and that's how the previous version of Shade I owned used to work).  I gave it a try and it worked!  Thanks again!

I still have to copy and paste it into an Alpha Channel, but at least it's in the same file.  I hope the developers change this back to the way to used to be.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:10:39 AM by JohnArtist »

sunny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
Thanks, Ben!  I couldn't figure this out.  Didn't think it would be in a LAYER since you need it in an ALPHA CHANNEL to use (and that's how the previous version of Shade I owned used to work).  I gave it a try and it worked!  Thanks again!

I still have to copy and paste it into an Alpha Channel, but at least it's in the same file.  I hope the developers change this back to the way to used to be.

Thanks Ben for the explanation.

Yes, that's true. We changed the concept to layer. Your feedback is valuable and we will look at it in the future when we are reviewing this workflow again.

Thanks,
Sunny