Author Topic: Remove edges  (Read 6335 times)

DiegoPabon

• View Profile
Remove edges
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:36:08 AM »
Hi all!

I am trying to remove some edges that create triangles and gives me problems when preparing the file for 3D printing. I remember that in 3dsmax there was the function Remove, to remove an edge, and then you can remove the remaining vertexes also with the Remove function.

I tried to use the scripts from Strange days, but the don't seem to work with Shade 14.

Any help is really appreciated.

Diego

sunny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Remove edges
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »
Hi all!

I am trying to remove some edges that create triangles and gives me problems when preparing the file for 3D printing. I remember that in 3dsmax there was the function Remove, to remove an edge, and then you can remove the remaining vertexes also with the Remove function.

I tried to use the scripts from Strange days, but the don't seem to work with Shade 14.

Any help is really appreciated.

Diego

Hi Diego,

If you remove the selected edge by hitting the delete key, it will remove the faces that associated with that edge. And I'm sure this isn't the result that you want. Instead most of the users want to keep the faces or merge them together when remove those unnecessary edge.

In Shade 14, there is no easy way, but still you can select the faces that shared with the edge that you want to remove, and then either use the function from Toolbox > Mesh > Modify > Merge Face or Merge Triangle Face to remove the edge.

However, in the next coming new version of Shade 15, we will provide a new function that easily to remove and cleanup the selected unwanted edges and vertices.

Sunny

Stefan

• View Profile
    • My 3D doodles
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:10:54 AM »
Hi Diego,

like Sunny said you could merge the faces in Shade and the remaining unwanted vertices can be easily removed (all at once) in Wings3D, which is free, with the command Select/by/Vertices with 2 Edges and then "Dissolve".

Regards
Stefan
my 3D doodles
My GnuPG public key:
fingerprint: BBA3 194A C81F B18E 70A8  8149 D4C6 F821 18DB 4986
available at: https://keybase.io/stefan_claas

DiegoPabon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »
Hi Sunny, Stefan,

Thank you for your answers, I really appreciate them. Yes, I was trying to delete those edges to clean up the model, as the 3D printing assistant told me there will be errors there as they created Border edges. Will try to clean up the way Sunny suggested first, but if it doesn't work correctly, I will download Wings.

Thank you again!

Diego